Driving Directions From Riu Guanacaste to Playa Grande
- Our GPS coordinates are 10.33949139 (Latitude) and -85.84547281 (Longitude)
- Drive time from RIU Guanacaste to Playa Grande: allow 1 hr 15 minutes.
1. When you depart the front gates of the RIU property, you will take a LEFT.
Follow this road all the way along until you reach the T-intersection with the paved road. Left is towards Playas del Coco, and right is towards Liberia/ airport etc
2. Turn RIGHT here.
Continue along this main road, back towards the highway until you reach the next T-intersection.
3. Turn RIGHT here. (The left goes towards LIR airport and the right is towards Belen, Filadelfia, Santa Cruz, and the beaches of Playa Grande, Tamarindo etc.)
Continue along this main highway for around 20 minutes until the town of Belen. There is a gas station on the far right diagonal corner in Belen.
4. Turn right before the gas station, following the signs towards Playa Grande (Parque Nacional Marino de las Baulas). These signs for the Parque Nacional Marino las Baulas have a drawing of a turtle, they are brown with white writing, and refer to Playa Grande. You might also see signs pointing towards Flamingo, Westin resort Playa Conchal.
Follow this road without turning off on any dirt roads. After around 20 minutes, you will pass another gas station called “Oasis” on your left. This is the last gas station you will pass before Playa Grande.
Continue going straight along this road. You will go up over a mountain after the Oasis gas station, you will go down the other side of the mountain, and about 2km along, will see a turn off to the left for Tamarindo.
DO NOT take the left to Tamarindo here!
Stay straight. You will see Super Compro supermarket on your right around 200 meters past this intersection. If you are staying in Playa Grande, get groceries here but don’t leave anything in the car unattended by you or your companions.
Stay straight on this road, passing by the turn-off to the right for Flamingo, Conchal, Las Catalinas and Playa Danta.
When you get to the next t-intersection, you are in Matapalo. On your right will be a soccer field.
5. Turn LEFT here, pass over the little bridge, continue on the paved road for another 8-10 minutes.
You will go over and down another mountain, continue along until you come to a little more of a township.
Pass by Kike’s place (Kee-Kays) on your left (down their driveway, there is a big rancho style roof).
6. Take the next left turn at the big sign and the little school of Playa Grande is on your left.
Frijoles Locos Surf Shop in on the left just after the school.